In college some relationships are just fun flings while others are in it for the long hall. Many times you know what you are getting into right from the start. However, other times, you may actually have no idea. It’s a scary and nerve wracking conversation to have with the other person. The where do we stand conversation. You know what you want them to say but is it what they themselves want to say? Well there are a few keys signs to help you try to know what is coming from this conversation. These signs help to distinguish those who will go the distance from those who just want to have fun.
1. A person who is in it for the long run won’t mind being the one to text first most of the time. The fun one will complain about it.
2. A person who is in it for the long run wants to know what you want in the future, and is willing to work your wants into theirs. A fun one won’t even bother to ask, why would it matter to them?
3. A person who is in it for the long run wants to actually talk to you. I mean know your opinions, know about your life, really get to know the real you. A fun one will only want to talk about superficial stuff like “hey, did you catch that show last night?” That’s okay sometimes but that is all they will talk about.
4. A person who is in it for the long run will know what you’re feeling or thinking even when you lie. They will know if fine doesn’t really mean fine or okay doesn’t mean you’re okay. A fun one won’t push your answer, they might not even ask the question.
5. A person who is in it for the long run will enjoy movie and dinner nights and just staying in. They will enjoy spending time with just you just hanging out. A fun one would rather go out and hook up with you at the end of the night.
6. A person who is in it for the long run will want to be seen with you: in public, with their friends, anywhere. A fun one probably will only want to be seen with you in a party scene.
7. A person who is in it for the long run will let you do funny things like steal their sweatshirts. A fun one won’t let you even stay in their room long enough to see wear the sweatshirts are.
8. A person who is in it for the long run will be honest with you, whether it is good or bad. They will tell you when you aren’t funny or even when you aren’t looking too hot. A fun one will whatever most things. Fake laugh at your not so funny jokes or say whatever to how you look.
9. A person who is in it for the long run won’t feel the need to snoop on you. They won’t look through your phone or log on your social media. They will trust you. A fun one will be constantly nervous that you are on the lookout for someone new. They will constantly be self-conscious.
10. Finally, a person who is in it for the long run will not be surprised by this “Where are we?” conversation. They will be relieved and make it easy. A fun one will be shocked and brush it off as if it means nothing and never happened.
While these signs are not the end all be all to if you are in it for fun or for a long-term deal, they are some signals that may get you thinking. This way when you go to have the “What is this?” conversation you can have an idea of what is coming. You will have an idea of what to expect.
By Samantha Breault