Sometimes home remedies can be better than medicine, and more convenient. Why run to CVS when you can just open your cupboard? Well not all remedies are to be trusted, some work, while others should be avoided. Here are the top remedies to avoid.
- Coffee as a hangover relief. Coffee, though it makes you more awake, only dehydrates the body more after a rough night out. When your head is pounding in the morning, strictly reach for water, experts suggest.
- Toothpaste as an acne cure. Though some believe toothpaste is a quick fix to a whitehead, it isn’t. Flavoring from toothpaste can actually irritate the skin more, increasing redness. Instead try honey, apply twice a day for 15 minutes and voila!
- Orange juice as a cold remedy. Many believe guzzling orange juice when your sick is a good idea because of the vitamin C. In reality, the glucose from the drink actually weakens the immune system and can prevent cells from absorbing vitamin C. Go for a vitamin C supplement instead.
- Hydrogen peroxide to clean cuts. Though hydrogen peroxide is a staple in many medicine cabinets, it actually kills bacteria as well as healthy cells in cuts. Try soap and water for a better fix.
- Mouthwash for bad breath. If your breath smells, just swig more mouthwash, right? Wrong. Mouthwash contains alcohol, which actually dries out and allows for odor-causing bacteria to grow. Instead brush your tongue with your toothbrush to get rid of any possible bacteria and debris!
By Aisling Williams