Winter marks the period of time when houses are decorated, there is snow on the ground, and there is holiday spirit everywhere. But winter also brings holiday parties and delicious food. You don’t have to cut yourself off from eating what you love this time of year. Try these healthy gluten free desserts. Make them for a get together, or bake something for yourself:
- Key lime pie: Normally the crust would be made with wheat and grains. Gluten free key lime pie uses coconuts, macadamia nuts and processed dates. Put the mix in the freezer and then make a filling as usual. Use avocados, coconut oil and some honey.
- Peppermint brownies: This recipe is perfect for any holiday party. Use processed black beans and almond meal instead of flour. When the brownies are done, add crushed candy cane on top for a nice holiday touch. Click here for the full recipe.
- Lemon sorbet: This is an easy and healthy recipe that has only 88 calories. Heat sugar in a saucepan with water until it is dissolved. Add in a cup of lemon juice and a tablespoon of vodka. Then freeze after the ingredients are added to an ice cream maker. Freeze for at least four hours.
- Blueberry Apple Pie: For the crust, process a cup of walnuts, a teaspoon of flaxseeds and a cup of pitted dates. For the filling use a cup of frozen blueberries, an apple, and a half cup of raisins. Add cinnamon. Bake the crust as normal and then add the filling.
- Chocolate covered strawberries: For an easy, hassle free recipe, try dipping strawberries in melted chocolate. Use dark chocolate if you want it to be even healthier.
The gluten free movement has become a fad, but gluten free does not automatically mean reduced calories. There could be more sugar or sodium to make up for the lack of gluten, so be wary. If you are looking for a way to reduce the calories but still eat a tasty dessert these treats could be your answer!
By Ediva Zanker
Photo Source: louismeller.com