Finals are slowly creeping up on us, as are deadlines for projects and papers. Feeling a little stressed? Yeah, me too. Here are the foods to eat your stress away — and they’re healthy!
- Grab some nuts. Almonds, walnuts, and pistachios, that is. All of them contain the antioxidant vitamin E, which keeps your immune system strong through all-nighters. Almonds contain B vitamins, which help your body hold up under stress.
- Aloha, avocado. Avocados contain monosaturated fat and potassium, both of which lower high blood pressure. Plus, the thick, rich texture of the food satisfies cravings, too!
- Skim down. Skim milk is loaded with calcium, which has been proven to reduce muscle spasms and ease tension, as well as possible PMS symptoms. So if you feel like your beginning to twitch from too much studying, grab some milk, fast!
- Carb power. Healthy carbs such as oats contain serotonin, a brain chemical that keeps you relaxed. Oatmeal is a great choice because it’s high in fiber, causing slower digestion and staving off hunger, allowing you to focus.
- Get fishy. Fish such as salmon contain omega-3 fatty acids, which keep your levels of cortisol and adrenaline in check. Omega-3 has also been proven to protect against heart disease. If you’re not into fish, look for foods with DHA, such as eggs, yogurt, and soy.
- Stick with spinach. I think Pop-Eye had something with that whole spinach idea. Spinach is high in magnesium – just one cup has 40% of a daily serving of the mineral! Magnesium can lower stress levels and ward off migraines and fatigue.
Try any one of these foods and you will be on your way to a stress-free finals week!
By Aisling Williams