It’s that time of year again – no, not Christmas. It’s finals. Just saying the word makes us feel stressed, which is the last thing we need when trying to study. Here are some ways to relieve stress during exams.
1. Get organized. During this time you may feel overwhelmed with the amount of things you need to do, whether it’s writing a paper or reading that textbook you haven’t touched since September. So to feel a little more in control, make lists and lay out what you need to do down to the last detail. It will calm you down and you’ll get excited when you can scratch things off the list. Mission accomplished.
2. Eat well. No, don’t go for that fifth cup of coffee. Although coffee is great and provides focus, it’s short-lived and you’ll end up crashing and feeling more anxious. Instead, turn to foods like salmon, blueberries, and almonds, all of which give you energy that will last all day.
3. Use self-control – it’s a blessing when it’s time to crack down and focus. Procrastination is the worst thing for studying, and you’ll get majorly stressed when you realize how much you have left to do and how little time you have to do it all.
4. Exercise. Whether that’s running on a treadmill or doing some yoga, exercise provides you with endorphins, which improves your mood, and also allows you to process your thoughts and get out any extra anxiety. Even if it’s just 15 minutes of your time, you’ll feel a lot better.
5. Sleep. This is the most crucial. Although you may feel like you need to pull an all-nighter, not getting enough sleep will leave you forgetful and on edge, and when your taking a series of tests that’s the last thing you need.
By Aisling Williams