With winter fast approaching, it is easy to fall into a lazy slump instead of hitting the gym. When the sky is gray, snow is falling, and there is a bitter chill in the air, it’s easy to come up with excuses as to why you shouldn’t get off the couch.
Winter makes many people shy away from outdoor activity, forcing them to rely on an indoor gym. But going to the same gym day after day can get daunting – that ten minutes on the treadmill feels like a half hour. This funk happens to everyone and the best way to avoid it is to make exercise fun by taking advantage of the weather. There are plenty of fun activities available to stay active during winter.
Here are some fun ways to spice up your winter workout:
- Cross Country Skiing – A fun but intense workout. It involves skiing on a flat surface and is a great cardiovascular exercise. It is a total body workout and can be done with friends and family. Many parks have trails made for this type of skiing.
- Snowshoeing – Strap snowshoes on and go for a hike. This exercise is just like hiking, but with shoes that are designed for snow. It is also a great cardiovascular exercise. Your favorite summer hiking trails can be enjoyed in winter too!
- Ice Skating – A less intense workout but still a great way to get moving.
- Sledding – Yes, sledding is a workout! It isn’t easy dragging your sled uphill after taking a few downhill runs. This is a great leg workout.
- Bikram Yoga – This yoga class is sure to warm you up. If you don’t like the cold, head inside to a Bikram yoga class. This is a 90-minute class that goes through a series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. The room is usually heated to 105 degrees and is a great way to sweat out toxins and stretch out your muscles.
- Swimming – Indoor pools can provide you with a hint of summer during the long winter.
- Shopping – Turn shopping into a workout! Take a walk either outdoors or indoors at the mall.
- Wii – if you have access to one, Wii makes many games for exercise as Just Dance and Wii Fit.
- Enjoying the snow – Go outside and have a snowball fight, build a snowman, make a snow angel or help mom with the shoveling.
It doesn’t matter which activity you choose as long as you do something. So avoid a lazy winter slump and get moving. Trying one of these fun activities with friends or family will you help motivate one another to stay active. Remember, it’s easy to stay fit and have fun at the same time.
By Emily Borgeest