Believe it or not, the food we eat can have a huge effect on how our skin looks. Here are some foods you should eat and others you should avoid:
The Five Best Foods:
1. Almonds. Almonds contain vitamin E, which moisturizes the skin. Our skin naturally needs moisture, so eat almonds to prevent dry, flaky skin and damage from free radicals, which prematurely age it – keeping your skin soft and smooth!
2. Carrots. Carrots contain Vitamin A and beta-carotene, both of which are great for eliminating blemishes. Vitamin A prevents the over-production of skin cells, causing less of the buildup that clogs pores.
3. Berries. Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries all contain antioxidants, which are great for maintaining healthy skin.
4. Avocados. Avocados contain B-complex vitamins and have essential oils, which act as anti-inflammatory agents and keep the skin from becoming red and blotchy.
5. Dark Chocolate. As surprising as it seems, this type of chocolate is actually good for your complexion. It contains flavonols, a type of antioxidant that reduces roughness in our skin and causes stronger resistance to UV rays, protecting us from the sun!
The Five Worst Foods:
1. Alcohol. Alcohol dehydrates you – that’s why we have hangovers in the morning. Well, it also dehydrates your skin, drying it out and causing the swelling of blood vessels, which makes red veins come to the surface of your skin. Ew.
2. Salty Food. Foods high in salt also dehydrate your skin, causing dryness and swelling. Skin becomes puffy due to the lack of moisture.
3. Anything with caffeine. Although we love caffeine and often feel like we need it for those 8 a.m. classes or all-nighters, it really hurts our skin. Coffee, soda, and energy drinks all age skin, causing spots and oily skin.
4. Junk Food. This should be a definite no. Junk food contains bad oils and salt, causing breakouts and dryness. Plus it’s just bad for you in general.
5. Processed Meats. That means anything like sausage, bacon, hot dogs, bologna, ham, and other deli meats. These meats also are high in salt and preservatives, dragging all the moisture out of your skin and leaving it dull and dead.
Follow these suggestions and keep your skin looking absolutely flawless!
By Aisling Williams