Blog · Eat Smart

SunButter: A New Staple For Your Diet

Photo: Meijer.com

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple in every American child’s diet, right? Wrong. More than 3 million Americans have a peanut allergy, and while 20% outgrow this allergy by age 6, the other 80% will always be missing out on pb and j sandwiches.

While there are other alternatives for those plagued by the peanut allergy, Almond Butter, Cashew Nut Butter, Soy Nut Butter, not everyone is solely allergic to legumes, the category peanuts fall under, but tree-nuts as well. Hence the previous substitutes will do no good, unless you like a side of hives and a swollen tongue with your pb and j.

Fear not, all those years of childhood you lost, all the Halloween candy you could never eat and all the jealously you’ve been withholding since elementary school is soon to be diminished. Enter SunButter, aka quite possibly one of the best inventions known to mankind.

SunButter is made from roasted sunflower seeds in a facility that is both peanut-free and tree-nut free making it a great choice for those who cannot eat products made in the same facilities as those items. Not only is SunButter both peanut and tree-nut free, but also gluten free.

Just like its counterpart, peanut butter, SunButter comes in many varieties including, creamy, natural crunch, omega-3 and unsweetened.

How does the nutrition add up? SunButter beats peanut butter containing one-third less saturated fat as well as much higher quantity of vitamin E, a vitamin which holds antioxidant properties, as well as higher iron and fiber amounts to keep your cell growth regular and tummy rumbles at bay.

Time to dig in. Go back to elementary school and make a classic psb and j sandwich. Grape, strawberry, triple fruit, the choices of jelly are abundant, but one thing is constant, the creamy, rich texture of SunButter. Since it is fall and apples are everywhere, dip your apple slices in, or try a banana. Or just straight out of the jar, but a fair warning, this is a very, very slippery slope. You might just find yourself with a spoon and the jar at 2 a.m. when you can’t sleep.

By Melissa Lembo

Advertisements