By Elizabeth Holtan, Healthy Monday
If you’re feeling sluggish, tired and unfocused during the day, two common fixes are sleep and coffee. But if you’re low on sleep and jittery from caffeine, taking a moment to meditate can go a long way.
Healthy Monday’s weekly Meditation Monday program, from 2-3 p.m., is a great opportunity to devote time on a regular basis to your mental health. But if you can’t make the sessions, here are a few tips on how to do it anywhere.
- Set aside at least 5 or 15 minutes of uninterrupted time and stick to it.
- Pick a quiet, tidy place without distractions. Turn off the TV and music, or put on a soft, relaxing song.
- Choose a clean, comfortable spot on the floor. Sit on a cushion if you need to.
- Rest your hands lightly in your lap.
- Close your eyes and relax your muscles.
- Take slow, deep breaths through your nose, counting to ten.
- Clear your mind; focus on the sound of your breathing.
- When you’re done, stand up slowly and stretch.
You should feel invigorated, relaxed and more ready to meet the rest of the day’s challenges after this simple exercise. Meditation can help you sleep and reduce tension and stress, and combined with regular exercise, it can do wonders for your physical and mental health.
Healthy Monday is a national movement of people and organizations who commit every Monday to the behaviors and actions that will end chronic preventable disease. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter or tips, program updates and contests!