by Alyssa Miron, food blogger
I’m a huge breakfast person. I always need to start my day with something remotely, well, breakfast-ish. Whether it be a piece of fruit, a bowl of oatmeal, or a big omelette covered in mozzarella cheese, my day cannot begin properly without the most important meal of the day.Just last weekend, I was staying in a hotel the day Mother Nature decided to blizzard outside. When we went downstairs to grab some breakfast at the hotel, I was told they had moved on to the lunch menu. Me being persistent, I drove out into the arctic weather and got as far as one mile before I pulled into a Wendy’s drive through to break down and cry. Mission failed.
I’m pretty consistent with my breakfast regiment, but it’s fun to change it up once or twice a week. That’s why I was eager to try this healthy, low-fat, whole-wheat apple spice waffle recipe (try saying that five times really fast). They’re great to make on a Sunday morning when you have free time to treat yourself to a delicious breakfast. While you need to invest in a cheap waffle iron, I’m sure you can try to be innovative and see how they turn out as pancakes (although I can’t guarantee success!). Click ahead for the recipe…
Whole Wheat Apple Spice Waffles
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg and/or Allspice (optional)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- splash of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of apples (your choice)
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a different bowl, mix together yogurt, cottage cheese, brown sugar, egg substitute, water, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, while stirring in the apples.
- Bake in a waffle iron. If batter is too thick, add more water.