by Jenna Heller, blogger
This recipe is a healthy version of one of my favorite comfort foods. Made with whole wheat macaroni, dairy-free cheese, and an assortment of garlic, pepper, and more; this meal one that any mac & cheese lover can appreciate. If you’re a regular dairy eater, don’t be afraid to test this out! Everyone I’ve ever made it for always begs me for more. Despite it’s healthy nature, the meal is rich, creamy, and everything you’d want from such a simple meal and more.
First, take the whole wheat macaroni and put it in a pot of boiling water for 7-9 minutes.
While it’s cooking take:
- 2/3 cup of Daiya cheddar cheese (You can buy the Daiya brand at basically any grocery store that carries organic brands; Wegmans, Whole Foods, etc)
- 2/3 cup of Daiya mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup of plain, unsweetened soy milk (make sure it’s not vanilla flavored)
- 3 teaspoons of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of vegan butter (I use the brand Earth Balance)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt & Pepper
Add all of those items into a pan an cook on high for a minute and a half. Then cook it on low for another 2 minutes. Once your macaroni is done cooking you can put it in a bowl and add your cheese mixture on top or just throw it in the pan and mix it all together. For some extra flavor, add some grilled onions on top and enjoy!