(Photos courtesy of Jenna Heller)
This meal is made quite frequently at my house and is an easy, healthy, and delicious vegan stir-fry. It is a favorite among all my meat-eating friends as well as my fellow vegans, so don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. It is an extremely flavorful, Asian-inspired dish— it’s good for you too! You’re going to need soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sugar-free rice vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ginger root, whole wheat flour, tofu, and brown rice.1. First, you need to take your container of tofu and slice the brick in half so that it is on a plate.
2. Put another plate on top of the tofu and place something heavy on top of the plates to drain out all of the excess liquid.
3. While the tofu is draining, take half a zucchini and a small onion and dice them. You can substitute these for any other vegetables you want, but these are my personal favorites.
4. Put the diced zucchini and onion into a frying pan and drizzle a cap full of toasted sesame oil, salt, lemon pepper, and garlic powder on top.
5. Instead of making an entire pot of brown rice and waiting 45 minutes for it to cook, the brand Annie Chun’s makes express packets of rice that heat up in the microwave. Each packet contains two servings which is perfect for this meal. You unwrap the container and put it in the microwave for a minute and a half.
6. For the sauce for your tofu, take a small bowl and pour in 5 caps of soy sauce, 1 cap of rice vinegar, 1 cap of toasted sesame oil (make sure it is toasted and not regular sesame oil, because there is a huge difference between the two). Shake in some lemon pepper and garlic powder, add a pinch of whole wheat flour (it makes the sauce thick once you add it into the pan), a little grated ginger root, a drop of agave, and a few drops of lemon juice.
7. Once you’re done creating your sauce, you can drain the tofu and empty the liquid into the sink. Then, slice the tofu into little cubes and put it in a separate pan from the zucchini and onion. Once in the pan, turn the stove on high and let the tofu cook for about 2 minutes. Make sure you are constantly flipping the tofu in the pan so that the bottom of it doesn’t burn.
8. Once it has been two minutes, pour your tofu sauce into the pan and let the tofu cook in it for another two minutes.
9. After you added the sauce to the tofu, take the brown rice packet and add it to your vegetables.
Once the tofu is done, the vegetables should be as well. Add some sesame seeds for the visual appeal, and enjoy your amazing vegan meal!