by Alyssa Miron, food blogger
When growing up, I had a best friend that had moved from France in sixth grade. While I’m not sure how we became friends initially (at first, we took pleasure in annoying each other in English class), we became inseparable for years to come. The best thing about going to her house was getting authentic French food for dinner and breakfast.
One food that her family introduced me to was the quiche. Not only did the name of the food scare the living hell out of the 12-year old me, but the look of it, the texture, the aroma—it was unlike anything I had seen before in my traditional American upbringing.
When we sat at the dinner table and my friend’s mother put a big piece of quiche onto my plate, I dared not be disrespectful. So I took the smallest amount possible onto my shaky fork and tried it. Instantly, I couldn’t get enough. A quiche is everything I love; it is full of vegetables high in vitamins, delicious eggs, and seasonings. If I had not felt indirectly forced to try it, who knows if I ever would have?
The quiche is a delicious anytime meal that can be made for one meal and had for leftovers for days to come. This means you don’t have to cook breakfast or lunch for the next few days (and will save you some time, for all those who are being bombarded with midterms. I know I’m not the only one).
The recipe I’ve selected is much healthier than a normal quiche, and also much more exciting! Instead of having the added calories from a piecrust, the quiche sits comfortably inside a carved-out bell pepper. This innovative idea allows all the flavors of the quiche to shine, proving protein from the eggs and allows you to focus on getting nutritional ingredients such as vegetables instead.
If you’ve never made a quiche, it’s super easy to do. And if you’ve never tried one before, it’s never too late!
Broccoli Quiche in a Bell Pepper:
Ingredients (serves 4):
4 medium red, yellow, or green bell peppers (around 4 oz. each)
1 cup of frozen broccoli florets, defrosted
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dried italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Take your bell peppers and cut the tops off (about 1/2 an inch). Clean and remove the seeds and innards.
- Get a bowl and beat your eggs, milk, garlic powder, and italian seasonings together until blended well together.
- Place your empty peppers into a baking dish standing up. Put 1/4 cup of defrosted broccoli into each of the peppers and follow this by pouring the egg, milk, and seasoning mixture over evenly on top of the broccoli.
- Put the filled bell peppers into the heated oven and wait 60-70 minutes. You will know when its done when you can insert a knife or toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Let it sit outside the oven for 5 minutes to cool, then serve.