by Alyssa Miron, food blogger
It was my friend’s birthday on Sunday, so I decided to go over to his apartment to make him and his roommates an enjoyable dinner. If the kid was not going home for his birthday, I would make sure to bring home to Syracuse for him!
What is more comforting than some Chicken Parmesan? Chicken Parm is a classic, home-cooked meal that every one can relate to. In addition, it’s usually a good meal to make for guys because it’s a protein loaded with cheese, breadcrumbs, spices, and other heavenly components. My friends were overly excited for me to cook them this meal and throughout the cooking process were reminding me how great their mothers make this dish. Thanks for the added pressure guys, I thought. I’m a 19-year-old college student and I’m competing with veteran moms? Usually, this dish can hit the roof with calories, but I found a healthy 400 calories per serving version that is oven baked instead of cooked in oil on the stovetop.
Little did I know that my nice offer would turn into a three-hour fiasco in an inadequate kitchen. For starters, the ancient oven only went up to 200 degrees, so I had to use the small toaster oven to cook 5 chicken breasts. When I asked my friends where they had their kitchen knives, they handed me a plastic knife, in which I was supposed to remove the white connective tissue of the chicken with. But through the countless dilemmas occurred in that kitchen, I persevered. This means if I could make a delicious Chicken Parmesan under the circumstances I was under, there is no reason you can’t succeed either! Click to see the recipe and make it for yourselves!
4 slices whole-wheat bread (1-ounce each)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 (6 ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
Olive oil cooking spray
1 jar good-quality marinara sauce (about 3 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons (1/2-ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and begin to put bread into a food processor. Process until fine crumbs are formed. Put the crumbs onto a breaking sheet and bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
2. In a bowl, toss the crumbs with oregano, garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
3. In a different bowl, whisk egg whites and milk together.
4. In a third bowl, stir the flour and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees. In an assembly line, dip one chicken breast into the flour, shake off the excess, then drop into the gooey egg mixture, and finally into the bread crumbs. Put it into a glass-baking dish and start over again with a different chicken breast. Make sure to spray the cooking spray onto the glass-baking dish.
6. Once all the chicken breasts are breaded, place the chicken into the oven until they are cooked through and the crumbs are brown. This will take approximately 15 minutes. Once this is complete, cover the chicken with marinara sauce and sprinkle the top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return the dish to the oven for another 10 minutes to allow the cheese to bubble and ooze.